Wow! This is an amazing pie. We made this on the weekend and have been having it for dessert all week. We love it. Its so chocolaty. The recipe comes from “Things My Belly Likes“. This is a great site with lots of recipes. Check it out. Now to the pie.
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Melt the butter and, when it’s cool, beat in the eggs and honey.
- Sieve the coconut flour and cinnamon into a mixing bowl. Gradually add the eggs and butter to the flour until it comes together.
- Press into a 9in pie dish. It won’t act like ‘normal’ pastry but that’s ok. Trust me, it will turn out fine. Just make sure you press it into the dish evenly along the base and up the sides. Painstaking but worth it.
- Prick the bottom and set aside in the fridge while you make the filling.
- 1 large sweet potato (should be big enough for 2 cups of mashed potato)
- 80g dark chocolate (I used 59%, I would’ve gone higher but that was all I had)
- 2 tbsps cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup, plus 3 tbsps, heavy cream
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup butter
- Peel and dice the potato and boil it for 30 minutes ’til tender.
- Using a double boiler, melt the chocolate, honey and butter together. Set aside to cool.
- Blend the potato in a blender or food processor with 3 tbsps of cream (I wouldn’t advise mashing. I tried and, despite vigorous mashing, it remained stubbornly lumpy).
- Whisk the eggs and cream into the cooled chocolate and gradually pour the resulting goo into the sweet potato mash, stirring so it forms a semi-runny batter.
- Pour batter into the pie dish and bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Let cool then put in the fridge for at least an hour before serving.