Always on the hunt for new and exciting ways to make chicken, I came across this great version of Roasted Caprese Chicken! This recipe comes from Healthy Makeover.
Serves 4 Prep Time 15 min Cook Time 25 min
1 1/2 lbs Boneless skinless chicken breast; this would also be tasty with boneless skinless thighs!
2 T Olive oil
1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp Garlic powder
1 cup Fresh tomatoes diced
2 cloves Fresh garlic chopped
2 T Balsamic vinegar
2 cups Shredded mozzarella
3-4 leaves Fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Season the chicken generously with olive oil, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper
Place the chicken in a cast iron skillet or in a baking dish (a baking sheet won’t allow proper simmering and sauce making)
- Top the chicken with fresh tomatoes and chopped garlic
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar
- Bake for approximately 20-22 minutes or until thermometer reads at least 160 degrees**you’re going to broil this a little longer towards the end so we want to make sure it’s not going to overcook
- When almost done, remove from the oven (if using a cast iron skillet, remember NOT to grab the handle without a mitt!)
- Set oven to broil
- Top chicken with cheese and USING THE OVEN MITT (I feel I need to remind you because I may or may not have forgotten this myself…)
- Broil for about 5 minutes or until cheese is brown and bubbly
- Remove and spoon the tomato balsamic sauce onto the chicken
- Top with fresh basil
Serve with your favorite side dish!