Here is a chili recipe that Nyree and I tried recently. You can customize the spices to taste. It is very good and the cornbread gives it a Southern feel. This recipe comes from Sally’s Baking Addiction.
Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10min Cook Time: 1 hour
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey (or beef – I use 94% lean but anything works)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper (or any color!)
- 1/2 of a jalapeño, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans (drained)
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin (for that key chili taste!)
Corn Bread Topping
- 1 cup (120g) cornmeal
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/4 cup (50g) packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 cup (240ml) buttermilk or whole milk, at room temperature
- optional: 1 cup corn (fresh, frozen, or canned)
- In a large oven-proof skillet (12 inches) over medium heat, heat the oil for 1 minute. Add the ground turkey, onion, peppers, jalapeño, and garlic. Sauté until browned and cooked through, breaking up with a spoon as you go– about 10 minutes. Stir in the rest of the chili ingredients, then reduce to medium-low heat. Cover and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375°F (191°C).
- Also meanwhile, whisk all of the cornbread ingredients together in a large bowl. Remove the chili from heat and spread the cornbread batter on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the cornbread is golden on top and cooked through. Serve warm.
Make ahead tip: If you want to get started ahead of time, prepare the chili the day before, cover, and store in the fridge. Then, 30 minutes before dinner, place into your skillet, throw the cornbread batter on top, and bake as directed.